Monday, April 14, 2014

The JW Marriott Unpleasantry


JW Marriott, Kuwait

It was a beautiful hotel, but it wasn't exactly a pleasant stay at this hotel.  There were concrete barriers leading up to this driveway, where security guards checked incoming vehicles.  It was cause for a good amount of congestion at certain times.  

I checked in on Monday night, March 17th 2014, after a long journey from Chicago via Frankfurt.  Off the bat, I had to secure a deposit for my stay.  Which I didn't expect in the least, as my client took care of the arrangements and expenses.  I had no credit card, but reluctantly handed over my debit card.  I had just written a large check, before leaving Chicago, so the effective cash on our account was tight.  I didn't expect the deposit amount to get approved, but it was.  That large check hadn't cleared, yet.  The hotel clerk promised me it wouldn't be a charge, but I was not happy when I checked my account online, once in my room, and the amount was already on it.  It wasn't a hold, but a charge is what I explained to the clerk.

I checked with my client on my first day onsite, and he followed up.  Except that the hold-charge remained on my account.  I prayed that that large check wouldn't be presented so quickly, because otherwise it would bounce.

Four nights later, Thursday night, as I was checking out, that same clerk, perhaps by fate, took care of it.  He asked me if he ought to go ahead and bill my debit card.  What?  Even though my client confirmed that they would cover the expenses, the clerk said there was no record of such.  I blew up.  I had my client on the phone, and he spoke to the clerk directly.  The resolution at first was not at all satisfying, even as the supervisor arrived and said that it would take a few days to clear the hold-charge on my account.  I was fuming.  My wife and I had already had major problems with our account, being put on hold and checks bouncing, with separate issues, and this was the last thing I needed.  I was careful to make sure hotel expenses were covered, as I managed our account and cash flow tightly.  

I railed mostly at the clerk, and said that what he did impacted my family and me, and, more calmly, told the supervisor that their behavior impact the hotel relationship with their national oil company.

Thankfully, by the time I arrived home, on Friday afternoon, I saw that the hold-charge was cleared and lo and behold the large check hit my account.

All's well that ends well, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment