Monday, March 31, 2014

The Ordinariness Of It All






It was Monday, March 17th 2014, and I was in Frankfurt, en route to Kuwait.  I had time on my hands, and feet, and I needed exercise and air.  It was a dreary day, the kind where we are inclined to while away.  Within a mile or two from the airport, there was little that was extraordinary.  But never having been in Frankfurt, except two or three times only at the airport, I thought I'd get a sampling of the city.  Ordinary was fine, and being outside the airport, according to a personal rule, meant I had actually visited the city.  The overcast day had just the right amount of cool to ease the warmth inside and at the same time the right amount of warmth to make it feel like I had escaped the brutal Chicago winter.  I stepped outside, and followed the direction of light traffic, walked on a down ramp, and soaked in, almost as a meditation, the ordinariness of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment