Friday, March 21, 2014

A Frankfurt Airport Synchronicity


File:Flughafen Frankfurt am Main - Gate A - Check-In 0212.jpg
(image credit)

Before my connecting flight to Kuwait, I had a four-hour layover in Frankfurt.  I asked the friendly lady guard at Passport Control, whether I had time to explore the city.  She said, yes, as long as I was back at the airport one hour before flight time.

I walked around, in no rush, and mostly soaked in the scene of the airport.  I love airports, when I don't have to rush to get somewhere.  There is a flow and a rhythm to people, all linked in one way or another to travel.  I love being part of it, and also stepping back from it and observing it all openly.  I can visualize the algorithm, in the way that Neo could see the green streaming of computer code that makes up `The Matrix.

I approached an area of long reclined chairs, meant for napping.  I didn't want to nap, but I wanted to take stock of my belongings and review my plans and timing.  I made a habit of regularly tapping my pockets and scanning my bags to make sure I had everything with me.

A moment of synchronicity

I tapped my right back pants pocket for my wallet, and it's there.  Then in an instant after that, I saw a brown wallet on the floor at my feet.  I was standing at the foot of one of those reclined chairs, and was about to sit down.  For another split second, I was curious as to how my wallet landed on the floor, after I just ensured it was in my pocket.

It wasn't my wallet, of course.  

I picked up the bulging thing, and quickly looked for a security guard to give it to. I must've done a 360° twice, before deciding to go back to the security check-in I had walked past a few moments before.  I approached a guard, and he didn't seem to want the wallet.  He just pointed me to Information Desk, near where I was among napping travelers.

It took a few moments to go back there, and find the Information Desk.  But once there I had to wait for a traveler, who seemed lost and had engaged the staff in more than a brief set of directions.  I circled to another, and again I had to wait for another traveler to finish.

I gave the increasingly hot wallet to that second staff.  She reacted with a bit of an oh, and opened it and we both saw that there was a lot of cash in it.  She wanted information about me, and I was reluctant.  I just found it, and I didn't touch anything in it, I retorted.  I gathered she wanted to make sure I didn't actually take anything from it.  After that guard refused to take it, I was afraid someone would accuse me to stealing it.

Thankfully all she asked for was my name.

Someone tries to do good, and it becomes a veritable little drama, doesn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment