Friday, March 14, 2014

Personal Mysteries of Time and Memory



One time I was on a business trip (US), and woke up in my hotel room early the first day of a client project.  I had awakened a little later than planned, but I still had plenty of time to shower and get ready.  Things felt a tad strange, then even more so, as I walked around the restaurant and hardly any one was around for breakfast.  Just a scattering of guests, but none of my colleagues.  Strange indeed.

This went on for a number of minutes.  Until I realized that I was an hour early.  

I don't think I wore a watch, and I must not have looked at my mobile to check the time.  But the only thing I could come up with to explain my personal episode of  `Twilight Zone was that during the night, I must've inadvertently set the time one hour ahead on the bedside clock.  I had absolutely no memory of doing that.  The alarm went off, as I had set it, and by then it was an hour too early.  

The above photo reminds me of that bizarre morning.  I also have no memory of having taken it.  It looks like the luminescent digits of our bedroom clock, and apparently I pulled out my iPhone and snapped this shot.  I have a good memory, and I am not at all prone (I don't think) to doing stuff during the night that I'm not aware of.

Outside of this plausible explanation, perhaps there is something of significance with 3:05.  Let me reflect on that, and keep an eye on whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment