Saturday, November 2, 2013

Borneo Challenge: Don Bosco Children's Home









That same day that we scaled Mount Kinabalu, we descended the mountain.  It was mid-morning when I arrived back at our lodge.  Because I decided to turn back from 1.2 kilometers from the summit, I had the advantage of relaxing and recovering before others returned.  Thankfully the lodge had nowhere near the crush of people from the night before.

The descent was no easy task.  It was a faster clip, certainly.  But once again it was a downpour, heavier and longer, than the rains we faced on our climb the day before.  Others rushed ahead, while the Challenge director, Brian, and I stayed within our rhythm.  Descending taxed different muscles and joints: front thighs, knees and ankles.  My legs were rather achy, but still strong.

Our lodging for that night meant we could dry our clothing and gear, plus, most importantly, take a warm shower.  It was a very relaxing, very pleasant dinner together that evening.

The next day was when we painted the Don Bosco Children's Home, as part of our charitable mission.  I saw it as a rest day, as I'm sure my mates did, too.  We spent quite a few hours there, and had plenty of time to take photos.  Above is the first set.        

No comments:

Post a Comment