Friday, July 11, 2014

Thinking of Mark Rothko and Kazimir Malevich






Maybe I had Mark Rothko in mind.  Maybe even Kazimir Malevich.  

For the longest time, abstract art didn't quite grab me.  Art that had at least a hand or foot on reality gave me an anchor for experiencing it and understanding it.  But in recent years I have come to better appreciate abstract art, and Rothko and Malevich prompted me to frame these shots of intriguing pieces at the Chicago Cultural Center in a certain way.  




Years ago I was at a small gallery in Dubai, and after several minutes of looking around, the owner wondered if I were an artist.  I was flattered that she asked.  She noted that I had a more than usual or passing interest in the art.  As with other art elsewhere, I walk slowly and I pause.  I reflect on what I see and what I experience.  I look at a piece from a distance, then move closer, and closer, to see the elemental strokes that often give me insight on the artist himself or herself.  

From a distance, it was Rothko and Malevich.  Up close, however, these are all old-time slides.  Before there was PowerPoint, we took photographs with certain film that produced "positives" (rf. negatives) like these.  I wouldn't characterize myself as detail oriented.  But with art pieces, I am, apparently.  See how our world view shifts and alters, upon moving closer or stepping back.

No comments:

Post a Comment