Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Looking at Things at Millennium Park




I am intrigued by how our eye functions vis-a-vis the lens:  When we look at things, we may focus our vision.  So by the hot dog stand at Millennium Park, I see The Bean standout in my view.  By the outdoor art pieces nearby, I see what may be Roman columns in the background and its unusual architecture relative to the modern city.  But my Samsung Galaxy Note has a dispassionate, mechanical eye, so its camera doesn't capture how well I saw The Bean and those columns.  That's a fundamental lesson in photography: We must school our eyes into seeing how a camera sees things, not how we ourselves see things.  Nonetheless for me the whole of it comprise my experience.  Lesson or no lesson, I love looking at things, reflecting on them, and wondering about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment