Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Leftover 'Carcass' from the Urban Jungle



I got into cycling 20 years ago, and was soon nailing down 3000+ miles of riding a year.  My family and I lived more than 50 miles from downtown Chicago where I worked, and in the summer that was a great opportunity to ride a 'century' during my workday.  My friend and co-worker Neil lived in Chicago already, so I'd meet him at his apartment and we'd ride the last 10 - 15 miles together.  

We learned to safeguards our bicycles.  Mine had two U-locks (aka Kryptonite), one for each wheel, plus a heavy padlock around the middle sprocket and chain.  We removed all accessories, including toolbag and pump, slipped them in our backpacks, and up we went to our office.  To get showered and washed up, of course.

Apparently bicycles were a theme in my recent excursions to Frankfurt and Chicago, and this one I shot had definitely seen better days.  They say the city is an urban jungle.  How apropos as this one looks like the leftover carcass from a lion's or tiger's feeding a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment