Monday, September 29, 2014

The Emerald Ash Borer and our Ash



It was purely by happenstance that I learned about the Emerald Ash Borer.  I was on an exercise walk through our neighborhood, and casually asked a man "You cutting down that tree?"  It was a tree like this one, also situated in the parkway, that segment of yard between the sidewalk and street.  His tree was bereft of leaves, and it was way too late to save it from the ash beetle.  I asked about it, and he showed me small D-shaped hole in the branches he had already cut.  In fact he found one crawl on my shirt, and it was a tiny thing with a body of a translucent green and yellow.  He said that his tree began to sprout branches at the trunk, and added that it was a sign the tree was in distress.  Funny, I told him, our parkway tree sprouted the same things, and my wife had me snipped them off.  Our tree, like others I began to notice in the neighborhood, was bald at the top, but otherwise it looked healthy.  I believe there is still time to save it.

No comments:

Post a Comment