Monday, August 19, 2013

Chicago Sports as Defining Place


I love sports in general, but because I grew up in the US, I have an especially affinity to American sports. Narrow that circle further, and it's simply Chicago sports.  Chicago is my hometown.

I have had the privilege and pleasure of traveling to cities across the world, and sports have a different game on the field - soccer, rugby and cricket.  I enjoy these a lot better in the company of others who know how they're played.  For example, I was consulting for a client in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, during the FIFA World Cup in 2006, and my colleagues helped me understand the strategy in soccer.  Together we watched several of the matches, and it was great fun.

Now that I'm home again in Chicago, however, it's the following sports teams that define, in large measure, my sense of place:

Chicago Blackhawks (hockey), Stanley Cup champions (2013)

Chicago Bears (football), Super Bowl champions (1986)

Chicago Bulls (basketball), NBA champions (1998)

Chicago Cubs (baseball), World Series champions (1908)

Chicago White Sox (baseball), World Series champions (2005)


No comments:

Post a Comment